Saturday, November 19, 2011

Who Is Hazel Hall?


As you can see, the name of our shop is Hazel Hall Vintage. I have to say that alone, this name would be great...but what makes it even better, is that like every item in our shop, there is memory behind it...

The name Hazel Hall Vintage is a reminder of my (Amanda's) time spent in Portland, Oregon. Directly across the street from where I lived, there exists a tiny park (maybe 20x20) named for Hazel Hall, the poet often referred to as the “Emily Dickinson of Oregon”. I walked through the park daily to get to my house, and in passing, read her poems engraved on the granite slabs on display. She was a writer, a seamstress, and subsequently an inspiration.  


Around this same time, as I walked back and forth through that tiny park, day by day, I began my love affair with vintage; furnishing my apartment with beautiful second hand pieces and scouring thrift stores for the beautiful old treasures that people throw away.


As my vintage collection grew, my tiny apartment about to burst at the seams, I decided that I would open up an Etsy shop. That way, I could continue on my daily vintage hunt which I enjoyed so much, but I would also have a little room to stretch my legs....


When it came time to choose a name for my shop, my mind directly went to the name Hazel Hall....


The name of the tiny park I would walk through each day, a complete representation of my time spent in Portland. 


And so, now that I have moved my life back to the east coast, this shop and it's namesake are a constant reminder of our shop's roots, and of the memories of a beautiful time in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment